Spring Safety Tips
Spring safety tips for our walkers, runners, and bicyclists; all of whom have to share our narrow roads and streets with motor vehicles
- Pretend that youre invisible. Sounds sort of funny but its a good way to keep from getting run over. Make it irrelevant whether drivers see you or not. If you always assume that a driver doesnt see you, youll be a lot safer.
- Never run or walk more than two-abreast, and make sure you face traffic, keeping as close to the shoulder-of-the-road as possible incase you have to take evasive action. Bikers should travel with traffic, and obey the rules of the road, while always wearing a helmet.
- Wear reflective clothing .Take a look at the next police officer you see on traffic duty. Their wearing reflective colors, you should too, if youre going to be in the roadway.
- Be attentive to the lighting conditions. Its harder for drivers to see during dusk and dawn. Remember that solar glare is a factor in a lot of accidents.
- Keep a cell phone with you. Its good to program the word ICE in your cell phone contact list. ICE stands for In case of emergency. Just enter your emergency contact person (Mom, dad, husband, wife, brother, sister, etc) under the name ICE, so police, fire, or EMS personnel will have a point of contact in case youre involved in an accident and we dont know who you are.
- Any finally, drivers should keep their windshields clean. Its also an excellent idea to wash-off your headlights and taillights when you gas-up. It makes a big difference.