The Carlton Police Department is currently researching and accepting submissions to document the history of its police department
- 1901-The first known policeman was Al Kingery
- 1903-W.A.Howe donated land to build a jail, the jail was 16' x 20', it had two cells,with a front room. The jail was torn down when it did not meet building standards.
- 1906-N.E. Hansen became a Carlton police officer and was paid $50.00 per year
- 1908-Police Officers were paid 50% of all fines
- 1976-Yamhill and Carlton have an agreement that four police officers are to patrol the two cities. Each city hired one police officer and the other two were funded through a federal program "Manpower Act to employ the unemployed" - Reflections of Carlton