Building Permits

The City of Carlton contracts with Yamhill County to administer all building permits. A Building Compliance Application (required for all permits except electrical and mechanical) must be filled out and approved by the City and then submitted to Yamhill County for permits. The Building Compliance fee is $100.00. To find out if you need a permit, you may contact Yamhill County Planning at (503) 434-7516. 

Forms and Applications

Building Compliance Application,Residential Building Checklist, Manufactured Home Placement Standard, Manufactured Dwelling Checklist, Fence Info Sheet



Work Requiring a Building Permit:

♦ Building a dwelling.

♦ Build, demolish or add a room, garage, shed or other attached structure.

♦ Build, demolish or move any detached carport, garage or shed that is more than 200 square feet or more than 10 feet high from the floor to the average height of the roof.

♦ Finish an attic, garage or basement to create living space.

♦ Cut new window or door openings or widen existing openings.

♦ Move, remove or add walls.

♦ Apply roofing when the old roofing and sheathing is removed and new sheathing is installed.

♦ Build or replace an exterior stairway more than 30 inches high.

♦ Build a retaining wall that exceeds four feet high measured from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall or any retaining wall affected by the weight of an adjacent slope, or nearby driveway or structure.

♦ Build a deck more than 30 inches high.

♦ Put up a fence more than six feet high.

♦ Enclose a porch or carport, if habitable.

♦ Add or enclose a porch cover, patio cover or other attached roofed structure with a cumulative area greater than 200 square feet (nonhabitable

♦ Move more than 10 cubic yards of earth.

♦ Pour concrete sidewalks, slabs and driveways more than 30 inches above adjacent grade and over any story or basement.

♦ Install a barrier around a swimming pool.

Work Requiriing a Mechanical Permit:

♦ Install or change any part of a heating or cooling system which has ductwork or must be vented into any kind of chimney or vent.

♦ Install a wood stove or fireplace insert.

♦ Install, alter or repair gas piping between the meter and an appliance (indoors and outdoors).

♦ Install a fuel oil tank.

Work Requiriing a Plumbing Permit:

♦ Repair, replace, relocate or add to the piping system within your home.

♦ Install new plumbing fixtures such as toilets, sinks, showers, tubs, dishwashers, etc.

♦ Replace a water heater.

♦ Replace existing plumbing fixtures if the replacement involves concealed plumbing connections.

♦ Install rain drains, cesspools, septic systems, drywells, sewer lines, water lines, backflow prevention assemblies for lawn sprinkler systems or cap a sewer. Note: Adding a bathroom not only requires a plumbing permit, but may also require a building, electrical and/or mechanical permit.

Work Requiriing an Electrical Permit:

♦ Install, change or repair any hard-wired electrical system.

♦ Run any additional wiring, put in an additional electrical outlet or light fixture, or change your fuse box to circuit breakers.

♦ Install or alter low voltage systems such as security alarms, central vacuum systems, low voltage lighting or phone systems. Note: Electrical permits are issued by Yamhill County only. Please contact 503-434-7516 for specific information regarding these permits.

Work NOT Requiriing a Building Permit:

♦ Paint buildings that are not historic landmarks or do not have specific zoning restrictions.

♦ Install insulation in existing homes.

♦ Install storm windows.

♦ Install window awnings, not more than 54 inches deep and not in a design zone, that are supported by an exterior wall and do not project beyond the property line.

♦ Replace interior wall, floor or ceiling covering (such as wallboard or sheet vinyl).

♦ Install shelving and cabinets.

♦ Install gutters and downspouts (a plumbing permit may still be required for storm water disposal).

♦ Replace or repair siding.

♦ Replace or repair roofing, if there is no replacement of sheathing (a maximum of three layers of roofing is allowed).

♦ Replace doors or windows if the existing openings are not widened.

♦ Install swings and other play structures.

♦ Build a fence up to six feet high. (You should verify clear vision areas prior to building fence.)

♦ Pave a walkway.

♦ Build a patio or deck that is not more than 30 inches above grade.

♦ Build a shed or detached non-habitable accessory structure less than or equal to 200 square feet in area and less than 10 feet in height from the floor to the average height of the roof.

♦ Repave driveways where no expansion has occurred.

♦ Remove and reinstall a toilet when installing new floor covering.

♦ Replace accessible plumbing fixtures to make emergency plumbing repairs or to replace freeze-damaged or leaking concealed plumbing pipes that are no more than three feet in length. ♦ Build a patio or porch cover not over 200 square feet and supported by an exterior building wall.

Why Do I Need a Permit?

♦ It’s the law. State Building Code requires that permits be obtained for certain types of work.

♦ Permits protect you, your family and your investment. They are designed to help ensure that licensed contractors do the work when required.

♦ Inspections ensure that work is done safely and that it meets the minimum code requirements.

♦ Minor problems that could lead to costly repairs, liability and life/safety issues can be detected during permit inspections and brought to your attention before the situation worsens.

♦ When selling a property, the buyer, realtor and/or lender may require that unpermitted work be corrected, properly permitted and inspected before closing.

Please note: Regardless of whether a building permit is required, the project must meet the Development Code requirements for building setbacks and clear vision areas. Contact City Hall at 503-852-7575 for more information. 

Attached Document or FileCarlton's Development Code  
Attached Document or FileOregon Building Codes Division  

Permits FAQ

When am I required to get a permit?

Permits are required for any new construction and alterations and additions to existing buildings, including structural, plumbing, mechanical, electrical, manufactured dwelling, boiler, and elevator work. However, there are some exceptions to permit requirements. If you aren't sure whether or not you need a permit, call Yamhill County Planning at (503) 434-7516.

Why do I have to buy a permit to build on my own property?

Oregon law requires you to obtain permits — even on your own property — to ensure that minimum building standards are met for your own safety and for the safety of future property owners and occupants.

Where do I get permits?

You can get permits by visiting the Yamhill County Planning Department at 525 NE Fourth Street, McMinnville or on their website.

How much will my permit cost?

Fee schedules and valuation tables are available here to help you determine permit costs, or call Yamhill Co. Planning at (503) 434-7516.

Who is responsible for obtaining permits?

The property owner or contractor is responsible for obtaining structural, mechanical, electrical, plumbing and manufactured dwelling setup permits. For electrical work, Oregon law requires that if an electrical contractor performs the work, the contractor is responsible for obtaining the permit.

What information will I need to get a permit?

  • The address and legal description of the property.
  • A description of the work proposed.
  • The owner's name, address, and phone number.
  • If a contractor is doing the work, the contractor's name, address, phone number, and state license number. 

Two sets of plans for new construction of homes which clearly show all work on the building and where the building sits on the property. Typical plans include a site plan, floor plans, and cross sections showing construction details.

How long will it take to get a permit?

If your project requires a plan review, the permit and plans will be issued after your plans are approved. Review times vary, depending on the complexity of the project and the level of information submitted with your application. Allow a minimum of three weeks for plan checks and processing of building permit applications.

When can I start work?

When an actual construction permit is issued to you, work can begin. If you’ve submitted plans and specifications, one set of plans stamped “Approved” will be returned to you. These approved plans, along with the construction permit, must be available on the job site and available to the inspector.

When does my permit expire?

Your permit expires if work isn't started within 180 days from the date of issue. Once you have begun work, your permit expires if work is suspended or abandoned for 180 days or more. If you can’t work within a 180-day period and don’t wish to abandon the project, you may submit a written request to extend your permit for an additional 180-day period.

Why do I need a plumbing permit to replace or install a water heater?

Oregon law requires plumbing permits for water heaters because of fire, electric shock, and explosion hazards.

Do I need a permit to construct a fence on my property?

Inside Carlton city limits, a building permit is required for the following:

  • Fences or free standing block walls over 6 feet in height
  • Retaining walls supporting level grade which measure over 4 feet from the bottom of the foundation to the top of the wall
  • Retaining walls of any height supporting a surcharge or slope.

Although fences and walls may be exempt from a building permit, they may still require zoning approval. Please refer to the Carlton Development Code for more information on zoning requirements.

Do I need a permit to cut down a tree?

Carlton does not require a permit for tree removal.