Community Development

The Community Development Department works is responsible for planning for the future and facilitate new and existing development. We do this by applying relevant codes and policies. The department is made up of planning and zoning, Re-Development, and building.

Planning and Zoning

Carlton contracts for planning services with the Mid-Willamette Valley Council of Governments (MWVCOG) and Carole Connell, AICP/Land Use Planner for Connell PC Associates, Inc.  Both contractors provide the City of Carlton with technical and professional advice and assist City staff in the enforcement of local ordinances, in interpreting city codes and comprehensive plans.  Please direct all of your planning/zoning/land-use questions to City Hall and our Office Specialist/Planning Clerk Aimee Amerson at (503) 852-7575 x100.

Zoning Map: 

Comprehensive Plan

Transportation System Plan


Whats New in Carlton? 

2015 Water System Improvement Projects:

Monroe Street Improvements: Upgrade the water, storm and sewer utilities, reconstruct the street and sidewalk, provide street lighting and underground all overhead power lines. Late spring construction. (Purple)

Meadowlake Transmission Line (MLTL): Replace the existing transmission line from the finished water reservoir into town with a new 18-inch diameter line.  Summer and fall construction. (Blue)

Regional Solutions Project (RSP): Replace a number of waterlines in the downtown core to transmit water from the new transmission line deeper into the existing distribution grid. Summer/fall. (Red)


The City of Carlton contracts with Yamhill County to administer all building permits. A Building Compliance Application (required for all permits except electrical and mechanical) must be filled out and approved by the City and then submitted to Yamhill County for permits. The Building Compliance fee is $100.00. To find out if you need a permit, you may contact Yamhill County Planning at (503) 434-7516. 

Forms and Applications